Today is World Vegetarian Day, which kicks off Vegetarian Awareness Month. #VegetarianAwarenessMonth is served to inform others about the benefits of eating a vegetarian (or, my preferred terminology plant based) diet. My top 7 reasons for eating a whole foods plant based diet (WFPBD):
- Disease reversal. There is an inverse relationship with eating plant based foods and reversal of chronic diseases (including, but not limited to heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes, and some cancers). The closer you get to 100% plant based, the more likely you can REVERSE disease. Watch Forks Over Knives for a great overview!
- Scientific Research Eating a WFPBD has been scientifically proven to change your biochemistry through food. Eating a WFPBD is “prompt, powerful, and it endures”, Dr Scott Stoll (International Plant Based Nutrition Healthcare Conference 2016)
- Hippocrates: Let food by thy medicine and medicine be they food. I rarely get sick because I’m eating so many nutrient dense foods (ie green leafy veggies, brightly colored fruits & veggies, oatmeal, quinoa, and brown rice). Many people following a plant based diet can decrease, or stop their medications, for their chronic disease!
- David Katz, MD: Add life to your years and years to your life. I had orthognatic surgery a few years ago, and I had to significantly modify the consistency of my diet for a couple weeks while I recovered. I was mainly consuming fruit & veggies that I juiced or blended into smoothies. I have never felt as good as I did then – I had increased energy (& I wasn’t drinking coffee!), dropped a few pounds, and I felt ah-maz-ing!
- Save health care dollars and help reduce the US government deficit. I heard a gentleman speak (from the CDC) several years ago and he stated the healthcare costs of Diabetes alone costs the US Government 3x the amount as the Iraqi war. Ouch! #eatmoreplants
- Save the world from Hunger. Check out this UN June 2010 report
- Mitigate environmental pollution from animal agriculture
If you’re interested in improving your health through your foods, contact me for a complimentary coaching consultation!